9.27.2005

gotta get back in time

I wound up going with Manhattan Color Labs to do my processing and scanning 'cause I walked down the wrong street and wound up on their front doorstep rather than Adorama's. Their "high resolution" scan turned out to be only 400dpi, but that's okay for current purposes (i.e. none).
Some of the shots I got of kids playing in a fountain with late-afternoon backlight are pretty nice and can be nicer with some judicious cropping. Most of the shots from under the Hell Gate Bridge viaduct are crap; I think I was too distracted by my annoyance at finding kids playing there to frame anything interestingly. The quickie digital camera shot I grabbed and posted to flickr (and the first post in this BLOG) is actually better than any of the stuff I shot with the SLR. Hopefully I can get back there sometime soon before that tree loses its leaves and shoot it properly.
The Mystery Roll turned out to be photographs from my excursion into Manhattan on 9/12/01. The roll was pretty spoiled by heat after sitting around my house for four years but some of the images are salvageable. I'll put the good ones up on flickr tonight.
Work today was boring; put together a "tribute" video for the guy who used to run the Macy's Parade Studio for some award that Macy's is giving him. It was basically randomly chosen and placed still images and some video clips all set to "If I Had A Hammer" as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. Not great. Also continued work on this graphic design project for Yves Saint Laurent that I somehow got assigned to do. It's basically layout stuff, putting together catalog-style pages with images and text. Not my usual thing, but for some reason the bossman wanted me to do it. Maybe I'll keep one or two of the images in case I want a design/layout portfolio. Not that my work on this is particularly impressive.
In other work-related activity the assistant producer on our Lead Paint Abatement video that we're doing for the city has been madly logging footage. The best characterization of the footage I've seen so far is "probably useable", though a lot of the sound is distorted and the producer is a pretty awkward interviewer.
Nothing will get done on personal projects tonight, but hopefully I can pick it up again on Thursday. I'm considering using the phrase "INSANE FOR JUSTICE" on the first wave of Black & Brown imagery, but that's just something that popped into my head the other day relevant to something I was watching on TV so it doesn't feel like a winner yet.

No comments: